Hurricane Harvey is expected to make landfall Friday night or early Saturday morning along the Texas Gulf Coast.
TFPA is prepared to help policyholders and agents affected by the storm. Please provide the following suggestions to your clients to ensure they can recover as quickly as possible:
Prior to the storm making landfall:
- Follow evacuation instructions issued by your local authorities.
- Take important documents with you, especially your insurance policy information.
- If time permits, take a photo or video inventory of your property (interior and exterior) and email it to yourself to help with claim filing.
Prior to filing a claim:
- Review your TFPA insurance coverage, knowing what is covered and what isn’t:
- Know your coverage limits and understand your deductible, especially if filing a claim for the first time.
- Assess property damage, and take pictures or video of the damage.
- For fastest service, file claims by calling TFPA’s 24-hour Claims Center at 800-979-6440. Claims may also be filed online at texasfairplan.org/claimscenter/.
- Have your TFPA policy number, best contact information, and property damage details ready.
After filing a claim:
- Focus on protecting your property:
- Make temporary or minor repairs to prevent further property damage.
- Keep receipts and records of payment for any temporary repairs.
- Do not begin making permanent repairs until TFPA has contacted you and your property has been inspected (if applicable).
- Maintain contact with TFPA about your claim; this ensures it is resolved most quickly:
- Respond promptly to phone calls and/or emails and requests for information about your claim.
- Schedule repairs and consider holding back a portion of the repair payment until the entire project is completed to your satisfaction.
- Be wary of out-of-state contractors who show up at your door unexpectedly. Check with the Better Business Bureau for a history of complaints.
TFPA knows many agents have been evacuated or closed their offices in anticipation of the storm. To further assist with post-storm recovery, we invite you to put TFPA’s website (texasfairplan.org/claimscenter/), 24-hour Claims Center phone number (800-979-6440), and claim filing information on your out of office messages to help your clients file claims as quickly as possible after the storm.
We will keep you updated about claim filing information before and after the storm. Please also follow us on Twitter to stay up to date on this storm and TFPA’s response to it.